Hike up the Acatenango volcano and camp on top. This Acatenango volcano overnight camping excursion takes you on a challenging hiking trip on this almost 4000 meter high volcano. The hike is tough, so we only recommend this tour if you are physically fit. However the reward will be amazing views and if you are lucky you get to see the neighboring Fuego volcano erupt!
The tour starts with breakfast at the meeting point in Antigua at 8 am (recommended!). If your hotel already includes breakfast we can also pick you up from You take a minibus to starting point at the base of the volcano where you will meet the guide(s). Here you will start the hike through fields and forests. On the way up you will stop at several points to take breaks and eat lunch. When you get to the base camp (3600 m) you can rest and enjoy the view. The guide will prepare the campfire and dinner. There is a good possibility you will hear the Fuego volcano erupt several times during the night.
The following morning at 4 am you will climb to the top for a beautiful sunset (weather permitting). After breakfast you hike down where a refreshing natural drink awaits you. The bus will be waiting to bring you back to Antigua where you will arrive at 1 pm.
Even though we include 3 excellent meals in this trip, we recommend you take extra snacks for energy during the hike. Please bring good shoes, water, sun protection and a comfortable backpack. You don´t have to carry the camping gear, but everybody carries the food, water and their personal items, so you need a comfortable backpack. Because of the high altitude of this volcano it gets very cold during the night, you will have to bring good warm clothes (jacket, gloves and hat can be rented upon request). Feel free to contact us if you need more information before booking the tour.
- Food & drinks
- National park entrance fee
- Transfers (optional hotel pick-up, as below)
- Optional free breakfast before the tour (at 8 am at central meeting point), if you are staying at a hotel that already includes breakfast you can also request a hotel pick-up between 9 and 9:30 am.
- 3 good meals: lunch, dinner and breakfast (vegetarian)
- Drinks at the campfire (wine, hot chocolate or tea) and marshmallows.
- guide(s) for the group (local guide, basic English). Depending on the size of the group that day there will be 1 to 4 guides.
- Entrance fee
- Natural drink at the end of the tour
- Your own backpack of at least 45L You carry the food, water, clothes and personal items
- Extra snacks
- Water (3 l recommended)
- You can hire jacket, hat and gloves upon request for 20 Q, please let us know in advance so we can have the proper size available.
- You can also hire a backpack for 40 Q.
- Bring either a flash light or headlamp.
This is not an easy hike. The trail is very steep. You need to be in good physical health and reasonably fit!
Even though water and 3 meals are included, we recommend to bring some extra water and snacks.
The entrance fee is not included!
What do I need to bring?
We strongly recommend to bring very warm clothes (layers) and good shoes.
We suggest to bring a fash light and a small roll of toiletpaper.
Don’t forget to bring you camera!