Mayan Civilizations Tour
Mayan Civilizations tour | 8 days
Discover the greatest ancient civilization in the western hemisphere.
The ancient Maya lived in Mesoamerica, an area that is now modern-day Mexico (Yucatan) and Central America. The Mayan Civilization ran roughly from 2000 C to 1530 AD. But The Classic Period, which began around A.D. 250 to 900 AD, was the golden age of the Maya Empire. Classic Maya civilization grew to some 40 cities, including Tikal, Uaxactún, Copán, Bonampak, Dos Pilas, Calakmul, Palenque, and Río Bec; each city held a population of between 5,000 and 50,000 people.
All Maya shared a common culture and religion, but each city governed itself and had its own noble ruler. Mayan culture was especially noted for its writing (Maya glyphs), art, architecture, mathematics, calendar, and astronomical system. The Mayan people never entirely disappeared, their descendants still live across Central America.
Places you will visit
Copan – Quirigua- Rio Dulce – Livingston – Flores – Yaxha – Tikal
Day to day itinerary
Day 1: Arrival – Guatemala City
Meet your driver and local representative at the airport. Take a short ride to your Guatemala city hotel for your first night.
Day 2: Guatemala City – Copan
After breakfast meet your driver at the hotel lobby for the drive to Copan (in Honduras 10 minutes across the border from Guatemala). Here you can spend the rest of the afternoon exploring this small colonial town.
Day 3: Copan tour
Take an early morning guided tour of the Mayan ruins of Copan, by some considered the most beautiful of all Mayan ruins. Then in the afternoon visit the Macaw bird park a tropical bird sanctuary.
Day 4: Copan – Quirigua – Rio Dulce
Back to Guatemala! In private transport on the way to Rio Dulce visit the Mayan ruins of Quirugua to see giant Stelae covered with exquisite Maya glyphs.
Day 5: Rio Dulce
Take a boat trip over the Rio Dulce through canyons and nature. Stop in Livingston explore this little garifuna town and have a typical lunch of tapada (fish).
Day 6: Rio Dulce – Flores or El Remate
The journey continues to the Peten area, where you will stay the night in a hotel in Flores or El Remate. A good base for visiting Yaxha and Tikal.
Day 7: Yaxha
Less known then Tikal these ancient Mayan ruins are surrounded by jungle and lake. Sit on the pyramid and watch the beautiful views while listening to the sound of howler monkeys in the background.
Day 8: Tikal
Private tour of Tikal with guide and round trip transportation.
Breakfast at the hotel. This is where the tour ends but upon request we can arrange onward transportation to Belize City, Guatemala City or Antigua.
- All transfers between places and to sites in private minibus with experienced (Spanish speaking) driver.
- All hotel accommodation.
- Tours as mentioned in the itinerary. Guided tours of Copan, Tikal and Yaxha. Guided boat tour of Rio Dulce and Livingston.
- Entrance fees.
- Local taxes and fees.
What is not included?
- Meals unless mentioned (hotel breakfast is usualy included, see itinerary for details).
- Flights to and from Guatemala.
- Border taxes between Guatemala and Honduras (around $4-$5 pp).
- Travel and health insurance.
- This tour can be customized to your wishes. To get a detailed program and price please fill out the reservation request form.
- We can add a range of extra optional tours not mentioned in the itinerary.
- It is also possible to request transportation only.
- For our cancellation terms please visit our terms and conditions page.